Friday, April 18, 2008

"I Can Ride My Bike With No Handlebars..."

Each morning that I drive onto the service road that surrounds the office building, I search the small man-made pond to my right, looking for Great Blue Heron who is often fishing along the shallow banks. I haven't named him yet, but I will.


***


I used to know a guy named Lurch. While I'm sure that wasn't what his mother called him, I never knew his real name. Lurch and his friend used to hang out on the porch with us from time to time, but it was obvious they were a little more serious about killing brain cells than the average imbiber.

John was Lurch's hype man. When John would notice someone looking at the disjointed childish tattoos covering Lurch's arms he would say, "He did that shit himself! He's fucking awesome!"

The first night I met them, I watched Lurch guzzle an entire bottle of Robitussin cough syrup.

The last time I saw them they stumbled into the convenience store I was working third shift at and bought a box and a half of B&C Aspirin powders. They didn't recognize me, and I pretended not to know them.

"Hey man, do you guys sell razor blades?" John asked.

"Just safety razors." I told him.

"Fuck."


***

Last night I downloaded the "Fight With Tools" album by Flobots. If you have ever wanted to hear an MC rap over a super tight rhythm section, guitars, a Classical Violin and a Jazz Trumpet, you should really buy this. $8 on iTunes for the album is a steal.


***


Rain is coming this weekend in big fashion. The bike gang rolls for the final time for the week tonight. Another wild and crazy Friday night on the way.

No comments: