Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Summertime Rolls

Hungry for the sun, people start shedding their clothes this time of year. Sometimes, unable to wait for true warmth, you can see students in spaghetti straps shivering on street corners. Today though, while shopping at lunch, I saw my favorite sign of Spring: The flowered sun dress.

Just like there are certain clothes that let you know the warm months are here, there are certain songs that scream "Spring" or "Summer". For some people that might be "Walking on Sunshine" or something like that. For me, it's a little known song called "Big Dipper" by Cracker. (Yes, they are the band responsible for that "Hey, hey, hey...It's like being stoned song". Put that fact aside for now.)

It's totally worth the .99 if you want to check it out at iTunes. I can't think of another song that sounds more like a slow summer afternoon than this. Think I'll listen to it now...

"Big Dipper"

Cigarrettes and carrot juice
Get yourself a new tattoo
For those sleaveless days of June
I'm sitting on the cafe Zeno steps
With a book I haven't started yet
Watching all the girls walk by

Could I take you out
I'd be yours without a doubt
On that big dipper
And if the sound of this it frightens you
We could play it real cool
And act somewhat indifferent

And hey June
Why'd you have to come
Why'd you have to come around so soon
I wasn't ready for all this nature
The terrible green-green grass
The violent blooms of flower dresses
And afternoons that make me sleepy

But we could wait awhile
Before we push that dog turn-style
Into the passage
The thousands they have tread
And others sometimes fled
Before the turn came
And we could wait our lives
Before a chance arrives
Before the passage
From the top you can see Monteray
And think about San Jose
Although I know it's not that pleasant

And hey Jim
Kerouac
Brother of the famous Jack
So he likes to say, "Lucky bastard"
He's sitting on the cafe Zeno steps
With a girl that I'm not over yet
Watching all the world go by
"Boy you're looking bad
Did I make you feel that sad?
I'm honestly flattered."
But if she asks me out
I'd be hers without a doubt
On that big dipper

Cigarettes and carrot juice
Get yourself a new tattoo
For those sleeveless days of June
I'm sitting on the cafe Zeno steps
I haven't got the courage yet (3x)

-Cracker

No comments: