Saturday, March 14, 2009

Wisconsin Bound

Good news waits until the morning. It's a fact. So, when the phone rang the other night at 1:30 in the morning, I knew it was bad, even through the thick haze of sleep. Jen's grandmother wasn't doing well, and it was Jen's mom on the phone letting us know what's going on.

I'm so tired, that I decide that it's me that should tell Jen what's going on, so I talk to her mother for a bit thinking it would be best for Jen to hear it from me. I don't know why I'd be a better choice than her mother, but at the moment it made sense. Of course, it didn't occur to me until after the call was over that maybe her mom needed to talk to her too, so after I caught Jen up on what was going on, she called her mom so they could talk and cry together a bit.

The next morning, Jen's grandmother passed away. All the things you tell other people to comfort them apply here: She had a long full life, she didn't suffer, and she was a very sweet woman. She's going to be very missed by her family.

So, we head up to Wisconsin first thing Tuesday morning. There will be a viewing that evening, and then services the next morning. Seems like in order to get me to visit, someone has to die. Watch your back. I might be coming to a state near you.

No comments: