Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Low End

I was about 16 when I got a single ticket to see The Frogs, Swervedriver, and The Smashing Pumpkins at The Newport Music Hall in Columbus. I was off to the left of the stage, and when the Pumpkins finally came out, D'arcy took up residence in front of me. She drank straight from the bottle, and I was immediately in love.

Ever since then, I've been drawn to strong women bass players. There's just something about them that pulls me in. I'd take any of them up on the chance to hang out and down some beers over road stories. In no particular order, here are a few of my favorite female bass players from some of my favorite bands.


D'arcy - Smashing Pumpkins

I hear she's a farmer now of sorts in Michigan or something like that. Seeing them play Mayonnaise live was the highlight of my young teen life.

---




Kim Gordon - Sonic Youth

Simply one of the coolest people to walk out on stage. I dare you to try to take your eyes off her. Even though she's dropped the bass as of late, she has to be included.

Kim once said "People pay to watch people believe in themselves". You're goddamn right.
---










Debbie Googe - My Bloody Valentine

On the rare occasion they play out live, they hand out ear plugs at the door because the wall of sound coming from the stage is too much for most people. Concertgoers who pass on wearing the plugs have been known to stumble out of the club early, vomiting. Really. RAWK!
---













Nikki Monniger - Silversun Pickups

Somewhere between modest and painfully shy, Nikki brings a touch of small town class to the stage. When I saw them on the last tour she sang "Creation Lake" and seemed completely taken aback by the applause like she had forgotten we were all there to see her.

---

Kim Deal - Pixies

Very few bands actually change the face of music. As far as I'm concerned, the Pixies changed everything and Kim wasn't just a background player.
In a band that changed the face of music, she was a member who changed the face of the band.

2 comments:

God said...

Chicks with guitars are second only to chicks with guns in my book.

Nice tribute.

Unknown said...

I kinda dig chick drummers, too. The chick who drums for Buckcherry is wicked hot.